Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/rebootma/public_html/edgeofbeyond.net/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Sad Announcement
Edge of Beyond « Welcome to the Beyond! « Board Stuff « Sad Announcement
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad Announcement  (Read 20751 times)
Guardian
« on: September 23, 2005, 01:43:42 PM »

Okay. I'm just going to get this over with.

Many of you know or knew Webrider at some point. Yesterday evening, I got a call from his father informing me that he'd been in a car accident. He narrowly avoided being hit by a car on his moped, but to do so he swerved into the next lane and got hit by a semi. He sustained massive head injuries and didn't make it to the hospital.

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/local_montana/article_508a6aed-1895-5427-9051-c92bce01114d.html

I'm heading out to Montana on Saturday. The funeral's on Monday at 11am. If any of you can write up a short paragraph to him, I'm going to print off a sheet with any words of respect for the people online who can't make it.

F@cking hell, this sucks.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:59:14 PM by CC » Logged
Guardian
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 01:44:08 PM »

What a tragedy. He's been a part of ReBoot fandom for a long time. I'm praying for his family. Could my part be:

Paul was an all around great guy, always funny, upbeat, and could make you smile with a single word. His loss is so saddening, and my prayers and deepest sympathies go to his family and friends...I'll miss you, Webby.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 03:04:27 PM by Bluemuse » Logged

HEAD KNIGHT: We are now... no longer the Knights Who Say 'Ni'.
KNIGHTS OF NI: Ni! Shh!
HEAD KNIGHT: Shh! We are now the Knights Who Say 'Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoop-boing-goodem-zoo-owli-zhiv'.
RANDOM: Ni!
HEAD KNIGHT: Therefore, we must give you a test.
ARTHUR: What is this test, O Knights of-- Knights Who 'Til Recently Said 'Ni'?
Guardian
FFXI is LOVE! Rawr!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 05:43:53 PM »

This is horrible... terrible... Thank you for sharing with us.

I'd like to add a few words as well:

Paul, or "Webby" as we all knew him as, was a hilarious guy.  I remember reading countless pages of his message board entries with us and cracking up all the time.  His humor is irreplaceable, and one-of-a-kind.  I'll sorely miss his entertaining comebacks and amusing non-sequitor humor.
I always respected Webby for his passion for ReBoot.  He was unique in that he loved the minor characters, because no matter how little screen time they received, he knew that they all played a significant part of their own.  I believe Webby played a majorly significant role in this ever going story called 'Life'.

My DeviantArt Gallery Please??? Visit please?!?!  I feel so ignored!! *weeps*

GO READ MY LJ!!!
You can't beat a Mayo that's a fact
Administrator
Guardian
Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 08:44:10 PM »

I had to take a moment to compose myself. I have to admit that I went into complete shock when I read this, and it took me a while to be able to write everything out because I wanted to be able to express my respect for him and my grief at his passing.

First I'd like to thank CC for passing this on to us and letting the ReBoot community know of this tragic event. Being a close friend of his has obviously made it pretty hard for you to be able to do this, but thank you for doing so anyway.

Paul aka Webrider (also known as Webby and Webster) was an important part of our small community. I remember him signing up and being the first member to admit to being a fan of the Webriders that appeared in Season 3 of ReBoot. He became a member of these boards in early 2001 and right away we knew he was a strong supporter of the series. He was always supporting other members, especially when it came to finding and sharing action figures, and I remember how excited he was when he finally got his hands on a Webrider action figure. He would often send off e-mails to Mainframe and Irwin, and share his responses he received from these companies with us. He was even enthusiastic about using a 3D program so he could maybe one day animate/work at Mainframe and help keep ReBoot alive. He always offered support here on the boards - he wanted to be a part of the team, so to speak, and he was thrilled when I put him 'in charge' of creating and moderating the various polls on the boards. We can never forget his 'gender' errors which made us laugh - he even received an award for it!  But he had a great sense of humour, and was quite thrilled to receive the award. He made me smile, and laugh, and I always felt stronger whenever he gave me support - which could be through just a short note, or a long post, or even his protectiveness of the ReBoot community whenever we had an outsider come in and cause a bit of trouble.

As I searched through the posts he made, I suddenly realise that his post count will now never go up; he won't be creating or moderating any polls; he won't be joining in with our quirkiness in the B.O.R.E.D threads; his online status indicator will forever be listed as "offline" - but I could never, and would never, bring myself to remove his profile, or delete his posts, because he was an integral and respected part of this community, and his posts will forever remain in memorium of a great fan and a wonderful guy.

I offer my most deepest sympathies to his loved ones.

We all miss you Webby.
Guardian
Rawr
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 02:05:01 AM »

He was everything Mayhem said and more. When I first joined, he was a sort of role model for me. I'll never forget him. I wish I could properly express how upset I am over this tragedy. Rest in Peace, Webby.
Administrator
Guardian
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 03:28:30 AM »

It pains me to hear of such a tragedy striking someone I know. Granted, I did not know him as much as others, but I did know enough to agree with Mayhem in saying he is a great guy and a great loss. His fun-nature and flare on the Boards became one that I have not seen in a while.

In order to quell the pain of the truth, I tend to think of it this way. Webby may be gone from us in his corporeal sense, but now he is immortal. Nothing can touch what was past and no one can touch what he is now. He is beyond us all, and I believe in a better place.

Rest in eternal peace, Webrider, and know that you will be sorely missed.
[/color]

Boardyguard
Guardian
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 04:02:51 AM »

Webrider had a way of approaching even the most mundane situations with his trademark fun-loving spirit and zeal that seemed to lighten the mood and make things more enjoyable for everyone. He was also a person of great moral fiber, always standing up for what he saw as right and always owning up to his mistakes no matter how minor. I don't think there's a way to measure his contributions to this community. His loss leaves a void, not only in our little corner, but the community as a whole that will not be filled in the near future.

Farewell Webrider and Godspeed your journey to the hereafter.
Boardyguard
Guardian
WELCOME! To the EDDDDGE of BEYOOOOND!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 07:49:06 AM »

I'm going to miss him a lot he was a huge part of the community. I loved talking about ReBoot with him and loved his custom figures. He was a great guy and one of the nicest people I've ever talked to online. I'm going to miss him. He was a good friend and a huge part of our community. Goodbye Webrider and rest in peace. We'll miss you.

Your ad could be here! Only 999999 a month. Call 1-800-MIKETV for details.
Guardian
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 08:03:12 AM »

My prayers for him and his family.
Rawsome!
Administrator
Guardian
ZakuZaku!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 09:33:18 AM »

My god. I'm in tears right now, the last time I talked to him online we were playing a game of Quake3.
Webrider was one of the first board members here, and one of the first friends I made online. With his funny wit and imagination he brought a lot of fun things here, he was pretty much the reason I joined. We may not have talked that much recently and I may never of met him in person, but I'm sure as hell going to miss him.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
So long buddy. I hope your watching ReBoot season One through infinity wherever you are now.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 10:06:53 AM by Zilla » Logged

Boardyguard
Guardian
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 02:12:23 PM »

I just.. I really don't know what to say, I've only just come on and seen this.. its shocking and horrible..

Webby was a great guy, nice, friendly, humourus, caring and he will be missed greatly.
There really isnt anything else I think I could add, everyone has already expressed the way I feel but my thoughts are with him and his family.

Guardian
I'm a roman numeral! haha
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 08:51:35 AM »

I never talked to Paul outside of this message board, but I got to know him pretty well by reading his posts. Some memories I have of him are the gender bender, and reading the archives with the "We want Ray" and "Survivor: ReBoot"

I agree with everything said here, he had a way of seeing things in such a fun and enthuastic way. One of the coolest thing he ever talked to us about was the Geo-catching, I've been meaning to do that because it sounded like so much fun. Now I'm going to do it for sure, in memory of him.

You will be missed, Paul (webrider)

Guardian
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 09:12:57 AM »

Oh God. I only found out today. I haven't been feeling well and this makes it worst.
I remember him being in the chat room 3 weeks ago before I had the foot operation.
I'm so sorry.

Season 1 is over. Season 2 no where in sight.
Is ther a cure for IGPX withdrawl?
Guardian
Interface with an Attitude
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2005, 01:41:45 PM »

Wow. Ok.  Not to sure how to approach this.   Alot of people say the net is some sort of faulse community where real connections are impossible and getting to know someone is never really getting to know someone.  This just reminds me of how wrong a statement that is, and how you dont really relize how connected you are to your friends on the net untill you loose someone who was such a great part of that community.  Paul, or webrider, or webby, or Webster as I always called him,  was someone I had the fortunat opportunity to get to know as a part of this community.  I even had the amazing honor of being able to write him as a character in RFU.  He made me laugh everytime I talked to him, and he always seemed to be around when I was looking for someone to talk to.  I didnt get to know him as well as others in the community, but I always concidered him a friend and a really great person to talk to.  He will always be a part of RFU, just like he will always be a part of this community.  My best wishes go to his family and his freinds.

Thank you Chris for relaying our messages, it means alot.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 01:43:35 PM by AvA » Logged

Porter (cant log in)
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 05:23:08 AM »

Wow, webbie was a really good guy. In the time i knew him he was always upbeat and funny. Its been a while since i talked to him but I still feel very sad about this news. In my mind i will always remember him for one infamous quote "WE WANT RAY!". Even though I havent talked to you in a while Ill miss you webbie, and I am very sad that I now know I wont ever be able to talk to you again.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: