Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/rebootma/public_html/edgeofbeyond.net/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Rainmaker Changes Writers
Edge of Beyond « Boot Camp (ReBoot Mayhem) « ReBoot News « Rainmaker Changes Writers
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rainmaker Changes Writers  (Read 4789 times)
Binome
« on: August 04, 2008, 03:55:59 AM »

Apologies if you've already heard, but Jon ("Rugrats", "The Collector") Cooksey is no longer involved with the Revival project.  Still sorting through how I feel about this - I had warmed to the idea of his writing the sequels quite a bit after my initial reserve - but it's a done deal, so no point in worrying about it.

The one thing I might infer, especially in the context on Glitch-Bob's cryptic Q & A with Paul Gertz, is that Gavin and/or Ian may now be getting involved with the project.  Whether their skepticism of Cooksey's direction was a factor in his dismissal or they weren't even contacted until afterwards (or if they've even been approached at all) is pure speculation.  But the one thing that's definite is that someone other than Jon C. will be doing the writing.

Boardyguard
Guardian
WELCOME! To the EDDDDGE of BEYOOOOND!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 04:30:54 AM »

Heres hoping Gavin, Ian, Phil, and Dan Didio will be involved now. Dan and Gavin were at the Panel with Rainmaker. So maybe they got involved now.

Your ad could be here! Only 999999 a month. Call 1-800-MIKETV for details.
Rawsome!
Administrator
Guardian
ZakuZaku!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 04:54:24 AM »

I don't like all this bouncing around with 'maybe this, and maybe that' that rainmaker has been doing, but the idea is still young so can't be helped I guess.
It would be great if Gavin and Co' got involved, it would make me feel a lot better for the future of the show that's for sure.

Thanks for the info!

Binome
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 05:04:09 AM »

Welcome.  You know I have mixed feelings about Gavin and Ian writing new material, given that I think S4 was a complete mess.  Still - they're Gain and Ian.  In so many ways, Rainmaker has taken on a terribly difficult job - how do you take a beloved but unprofitable property and make it mass-market profitable without losing what made it beloved and losing your loyal fans?  I don't envy whoever has to write this (well, that's a lie - I'd give my left nut to get to write it...) - the balancing acts they're going to be engaging in are harrowing.  All of this uncertainty isn't too surprising, under the circumstances.

Sprite
This is good ♥
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 05:55:44 AM »

You know I have mixed feelings about Gavin and Ian writing new material, given that I think S4 was a complete mess.

I'm sure season 4 would have been much better if they had had the time they needed. I love the way they were always reminding us of their lack of time in Daemon Rising.

"We've got plenty of time. It's only - Oh, no! We're late!"

"Let us hope that is enough time."

"We're out of time" (said twice!)

"Time is against them."

"We're running out of time." (said twice!)

"We just need time."

"Time is running out."

"It is just a matter of time."

"It is impossible to administer it in time."

My ReBoot music videos: http://upload.xbrav.net/etoile/
You can't beat a Mayo that's a fact
Administrator
Guardian
Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 09:28:07 AM »

This is fairly normal - you only need to look at today's movies and hear of changes to writers, directors, actors and other staff while a project is being developed. I think, however, this may actually prove that Rainmaker want to get this right. They want to appeal to a larger group while still retaining the core fans.

I doubt, however, that if Ian, Phil, Gavin or Dan suddenly put their hand up that Rainmaker would have dumped a writer in favour of them (contracts), but we don't know the reason behind it so its probably best not to speculate. It would be nice for Ian and the others to have some involvement, but I think I'd prefer them in an advisory role rather than on the writing team.
Binome
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »

Pretty much how I feel, too.  I would love to see the holy trinity involved in something slightly more than a ceremonial role - "Senior Executive Producers" or the like, giving their stamp of approval to the product but not fundamentally creating or editing it.  It's an old saw I know, but you can't go home again.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: