Edge of Beyond « Welcome to the Beyond! « Board Stuff « Important Announcement regarding ReBoot Mayhem & Edge of Beyond
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Important Announcement regarding ReBoot Mayhem & Edge of Beyond  (Read 3218 times)
You can't beat a Mayo that's a fact
Administrator
Guardian
Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun
« on: July 01, 2009, 12:08:19 PM »

Time to make an official announcement so everyone knows what's going on.

The Problem
A couple of weeks ago, I was in real strife. There was a very real chance that ReBoot Mayhem and Edge of Beyond, along with my other sites, would be taken offline permanently. The server was overloaded, there was no room for any site to expand and the support that I could previously boast as being the best, has now become non-existent. Other sites hosted on the same server were also experiencing simliar problems and had decided to cut their ties and move elsewhere. The problem for me is that there are not a lot of hosts out there that are capable of hosting sites like mine. A lot have restrictions on what can be uploaded, a lot say they have unlimited space and bandwidth, but actually have rather large limits if you read their fine print. The cost involved with running these websites can be quite significant as well so that was also another factor considered.

I didn't really want to let go of any of the sites, even if they didn't bring the major traffic we used to get back when ReBoot was airing and everyone was excited about Season 4. The boards especially have been memorable with lots of great people signing up and sharing their enthusiasm over not just ReBoot but other stuff happening around them as well.

The Solution
After investigating a lot of potential hosts and bringing the list of possibles down to a bare minimum, I finally took the plunge and signed up with a new host. Now, admittedly, I'm still a bit skeptical about what they can offer. After being with my current host Smoovenet for a lengthy amount of time (7-8 years) its kind of tough to be moving everything again, and we were kind of spoiled a bit here so its going to be a big leap! So this is the plan:

• Two of my sites will be moving across first. Once they've been set up I'll leave them there and see how things go for the next couple of months.

If everything goes smoothly enough, RBM and EoB will then move across to the new host.

Things that could go wrong
There's a real possibility of things going wrong in this move. The main issues will be transferring the databases across from one server to another. I'm sure my new hosts will be very supportive and helpful but there's always that possibility of things being out of everyone's control. That being said, the main issue will be the loss of all the current posts on the boards. Its something that I would rather not happen at all but we have to be realistic about these things. It could also mean that people will lose their login details and possibly even their accounts. That's the worse case scenario!

One of the sites moving across to the new host has a far bigger database than any of the other sites put together, so essentially that's my chance at seeing whether a transfer of a larger database will be successful or not. If that transfer is successful then there's a strong possibility that there will be very little data loss when EoB and RBM moves.

What can you, as a member, do?
Nothing at this stage, just keep posting and having fun and looking out for new news on ReBoot. When it gets to the point where we will be definitely moving, I'll post another announcement and explain about the downtime that will occur and the steps that will take place as the site moves. Messages of support are always welcome though!

If you have any questions about what is happening with the sites, feel free to post them here. At this stage I've successfully transferred one site across to the new server, though admittedly it was the easiest and smallest to move lol. As it is up and running, I may post up information there during any downtime with RBM and EoB. The site is my own personal blog:

http://www.mayhem-online.com

I also have an lj account should everything go wrong and all sites fail miserably lol, which I'll use only when everything is offline to update you with any issues and problems I run into.

http://meikochan72.livejournal.com (Note this site will be used only as a last minute resort)

Smiley
Guardian
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 02:05:14 PM »

Wow... O.O Well hopefully everything works out. I've been working on my post count since 2001. It would suck to lose everything, including our written memories :D

Good luck, May.

I may come from the Net
Probably through systems, peoples and cities, to this place maybe
Motherboard
My format? Guardian,
perhaps
To mend and defend most likely
ReBoot! I think
You can't beat a Mayo that's a fact
Administrator
Guardian
Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 10:49:51 AM »

Well its time to update you folks on this progress.

My host has finally admitted to all its hosted website that it will be shutting down as they can no longer support us anymore. We've been given until the end of September to find a new home. Good timing too as this coming week I was about to sign up to the same host that's currently hosting two of my other sites and so far there have been no problems since I've been with them. Most likely this next weekend (5th-6th September) will be when I move Edge of Beyond over first. The boards will go offline during this move so that I can make sure to get everything moved across as smoothly as possible. Once I'm satisfied that the boards are running smoothly, I'll bring them back live and start moving RBM across, if not that weekend it will be done over the week of the 7th-11th September. I am hoping to have both sites up and running at least by mid September.

If you have any questions about these moves feel free to post them here.
Boardyguard
Guardian
WELCOME! To the EDDDDGE of BEYOOOOND!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 09:29:44 AM »

Hooray the boards are back.

Edit: They seem to be loading faster than before too.

Your ad could be here! Only 999999 a month. Call 1-800-MIKETV for details.
Rawsome!
Administrator
Guardian
ZakuZaku!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »

is.. is it safe now? *pokes the boards*

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: