Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/rebootma/public_html/edgeofbeyond.net/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Darksiders: Wrath of War
Edge of Beyond « SPAMZONE « PlayG « Darksiders: Wrath of War
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Darksiders: Wrath of War  (Read 5132 times)
You can't beat a Mayo that's a fact
Administrator
Guardian
Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun
« on: November 21, 2009, 03:20:53 PM »

(Thought I'd start a thread ready for next year when it comes out!)

Glad I've not pre-ordered it yet, EB have just announced they've got a bonus extra with their copy if you pre-order the game. Its a graphic novel by Joe Madureira; concept art, poster, weapons feature and a code to unlock The Harvester (weapon). I really am looking forward to this game's release!!  cheesy
Administrator
Guardian
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 10:46:28 AM »

I have now pre-ordered my copy of Darksiders at EB and get all the goodies that come with it  2nd Wave  I think it comes out a few days after its release in the US/Can so you guys will have probably finished the game by the time I get it Wink  Tongue and can give me a few pointers (ours comes out Jan 7, I think it comes out Jan 5 in US)

Unfortunately while I was in the store pre-ordering, I now noticed that the other game I want to get (Mass Effect 2) is now coming out in January too! Albeit at the end of the month but still.... May will be even more broke than she is now  cry
Rawsome!
Administrator
Guardian
ZakuZaku!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 02:40:26 PM »

Well I didn't plan on pre-ordering it so you'll probably have it beat before I get my hands on it cheesy
But this game is high up on the list of upcoming games I really want to play.

What extras do you get? All I've heard of was a weapon in the form of DLC.

And you have EBgames in Aussieland and not Gamestops? I just find that strange because EB (Electronic's boutique) is a Canadian company that was recently bought out by them, so usually it's Gamestop everywhere else in the world. Unless yours is something else entirely and just shares the initials. >__>

*edit* or it just occurred to me that you could have ordered it online, I r silly lizard.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:55:19 PM by Zilly » Logged

Administrator
Guardian
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 03:42:43 PM »

The pre-order gives me the bonus of a graphic novel, concept art, poster, weapons feature all in a book and the code to unlock the Harvester weapon which looks like a scythe of sorts.

http://www.ebgames.com.au/images/packshots/darksiders_l2.jpg

EBGames has been around in Aussie land since the late 90s though in the past 5 or 6 years they've spread their stores a bit further out so pretty much every shopping centre has one (not all but most). I have 2 smaller shopping centres near me, both with an EB store, and there's a larger shopping mall not too far from me which has an EB games and another Game store (this new one is starting to appear in a few places as a rival). I went to the store nearest to me to order it as I'll be on holly-holidays from work when it comes out (woohoo!) so I can just pop in on the day it is released and pick it up  cheesy

I think EB Games elsewhere in the world is independent of the one in US/Canada but I don't really know the business politics behind it >_>
Administrator
Guardian
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:00:41 PM »

Well so far its a pretty awesome game. War is an intriguing character who is pretty angry over being accused of starting the apocalypse when he just answered the call (he assumed all seals were broken which is the only way to activate him). Anyway the game world is fantastic, quite interactive too as you can pretty much destroy anything and its kind of fun picking up the cars and throwing them around - especially at enemies. The only thing is that there are so many different button combinations that I kind of have trouble remembering which button combo does what but I'm guessing as the game progresses I should have no problems remembering them off by heart.

With the pre-order I also gained the code to unlocking the death scythe which is frickin cool to use. You can learn various moves through obtaining souls and selling them to Vulgrim, a demon who is serving the Council - possibly for his own purposes. There is also the Watcher that is stuck to you like a ghostly thread who pops up every now and then and points you in the direction you should go or to items that need to be taken to assist with solving the puzzle. Its funny listening to the Watcher and not half thinking of the Joker (Mark Hamil voices the Watcher). As you use either weapon you also gain levels with the weapons and you can also find enhancements for each weapon. Currently I have one that basically guarantees I get souls from any inanimate object that I can slice and dice lol.

During battles, apart from the moves you gain through buying from Vulgrim, you also have the pleasure of having an 'end move' when the enemy's strength is depleted. Its different depending on the type of enemy you face - zombies can get picked up and he either squishes them in his giant gloved hand or he smashes them into the floor. One creature he'll slam his sword into one of their hands, pinning them to the ground and then he beats the crap out of them before slicing them up lol. Even the mini-bosses have their own 'deathly end' from War.

In terms of the puzzles, so far they haven't been too difficult to solve though it was funny when I had to solve a particular puzzle and you have 4 portals you must enter, which one does May enter first? The hardest one of course! You don't actually know until you're in the room you're sent to but the only way out is to defeat the enemies or die and start again.

I've only faced one boss so far and am about to face off against another major boss. I have faced plenty of what I would call mini-bosses or sub-bosses throughout the game world as you need to in order to advance or solve a puzzle. With the other enemies, the easiest to kill are the bat like demons. You just jump up, grab on and War shoves his sword through the centre of them and slices them in two! Nice!

No obvious issues with regards to frame-rate or any other glitches. There was one but nothing real major, where a mini-boss I fought got stuck behind a platform. I couldn't get close to him to fight him though because he was in a small area and every time I got close he unleashed a big attack lol. Eventually I managed to clear the debris to free him and then sliced and diced him lol.

I'm still probably not that far into the game as yet but its good so far. I am spending more time exploring each area as much as possible before moving on. There are some areas I couldn't explore without an extra item which I have not yet unlocked, hopefully that will come with the defeat of this next boss.
Rawsome!
Administrator
Guardian
ZakuZaku!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 06:08:16 AM »

Finally used one of my giftcards and picked this up yesterday :D

It's quite fun, I just beat the second boss 'Greiver' - though, after facing Tiamat whom was a fun fight, Greiver was kinda... bleh. I really hope they didn't put all the fun into Tiamat and half-assed the rest.

This game is good, it's just not... WOW good(so far, it can still get epic). My main complaints are the controls, they're a bit awkward, they keep swapping around the shoulder buttons to do simple things and it gets your fingers confused.
Maybe it's simply because (and I really did not want to compare the two) I played Bayonetta first, and after having those almost perfect tight responsive controls Darksiders just feels really clunky. You could say that War himself is huge and clunky as well, but I've noticed there's a delay - especially when jumping. That's not character design, that's bad programming, why they would do that is beyond me :\

Anyway, I really like the story and atmosphere so far and I'm really digging the large levels and all the puzzle solving. It 'does' feel Zelda-ish, but unlike all the reviews I think it works, I like scouring every nook and cranny for secrets and power ups, takes me back to Super Mario 64 >_>.

Welp I just got a gun so  back in I go. I'm looking forward to when I get mah horsie! Me wants mah pony!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:07:25 PM by Zilly » Logged

Administrator
Guardian
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 03:40:48 PM »

This game is good, it's just not... WOW good(so far, it can still get epic). My main complaints are the controls, they're a bit awkward (they keep swapping around the shoulder buttons to do simple things and it gets your fingers confused).

That was the problem I had too. You'd get to a part where you'd use a specific combo for the first time but when you come to use it again you'd go "wait what was that combo again?" because there are too many different ones using different buttons like "Press A + LT + RB + jump up and down in one spot on your right foot" ... >_> well maybe not quite like that but you know what I mean Zilly

Maybe it's simply because (and I really did not want to compare the two) I played Bayonetta first, and after having those almost perfect tight responsive controls Darksiders just feels really clunky.

I actually felt the same way, I felt that probably I should have taken a break between the two games rather than jumping straight into Darksiders just after finishing Bayonetta. I didn't really compare them but you're still kind of in one game mode when all of a sudden you're in a completely different game mode. And now that ME2 is out next week, I kind of want to spend time on ME before it comes out so I may be putting off playing Darksiders until a bit later. Sad

You could say that War himself is huge and clunky as well, but I've noticed there's a delay - especially when jumping. That's not character design, that's bad programming, why they would do that is beyond me :\

YES!! That has driven me completely mad! I tried to get him to jump to move aside when I fought The Jailer and he didn't move quickly enough and got squishded when the Jailer went berserkoid lol.

Anyway, I really like the story and atmosphere so far and I'm really digging the large levels and all the puzzle solving. It 'does' feel Zelda-ish, but unlike all the reviews I think it works, I like scouring every nook and cranny for secrets and power ups, takes me back to Super Mario 64 >_>.

I was thinking more Soul Reaver-ish but then I haven't played Zelda.  Undecided

I did enjoy playing the game but I just think I picked it up too soon after Bayonetta and you really do need a different game mode/mindset to play Darksiders. I will definitely start it over again after I've finished ME2 whenever that will be...

Also I have had blurring issues have you had anything like that Zilly? There's been scenes where the action is pretty full on and its like the entire screen blurs almost like he's starting to go blind from being hammered by every demony creature he faces lol and its not until the action subsides a bit that the blurring goes away. Weird stuff.
Rawsome!
Administrator
Guardian
ZakuZaku!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 04:05:28 PM »

I didn't notice any blurring, there were times when there was a lot of crap and debris flying around that I couldn't tell what the hell I was doing but nothing technical like blurring.

As for the control-lag, in combat i only notice it when I'm trying to dash, but when platforming I can't make the simplest jump across a small gap. War will just walk off into oblivion like a moron, all the while I'm spamming the jump button like a monkey playing street fighter.

ANNOYING!

Rawsome!
Administrator
Guardian
ZakuZaku!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 11:44:14 AM »

Finally got around to finishing this. Felt like a chore... wow was this disappointing, like... really disappointing. Started out well and just lost its steam as the game went on. I think I'm going to trade it in next time I head out :|

Mayo did your copy come with a -Do Not Discard- slip? If so you can now turn it in for a free - yes FREE - copy of Red Faction Guerrilla. It has nothing to do with any pre-orders it was just a slip of paper with a code on it. I wasn't a lucky one Sad booooooo

Administrator
Guardian
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 10:40:55 PM »

No, sorry I didn't get any slip with mine either. I have to laugh though that at EB Games they have a listing of all the most recently released games and how much you will get back pending how long the game has been out (like 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks etc). They are obviously expecting some people to play through games once and then return it.

I really had no enthusiasm for this game after its release, but like you I was playing Bayonetta first and that took a bit of the edge of this game, and then I was too busy looking forward to ME2 to even want to force myself to continue playing Darksiders. And now I'm busy looking forward to FFXIII coming out next month so I'm not really sure if I'll play the game anytime soon. Maybe when there's no more games that I want are out and I've played all the others to death I might try it again...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: