Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/rebootma/public_html/edgeofbeyond.net/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
No aliens or preds for Aussies
Edge of Beyond « SPAMZONE « PlayG « No aliens or preds for Aussies
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No aliens or preds for Aussies  (Read 3615 times)
You can't beat a Mayo that's a fact
Administrator
Guardian
Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:33:10 AM »

The newest Aliens vs Predators game has been banned from sale in Australia due to the fact the classification department here is too damn lazy to get off their arses and make an 'adult' classification. All game classifications here only go up to MA15, anything higher than that is banned (first I've heard of it). Not that I am interested in the game but its just brought to our attention that the gaming industry here is sadly far behind every other developed country  Sad Angry What's worse is one of our own politicians here in South Australia is strictly opposed to an R18+ classification on games "...because its worth it to protect children from violent games." As the developer said, the game was developed for Adults not children but like most people who live in the past he's another person who probably believes all cartoons are for toddlers and video games are for rebellious teenagers...  Angry
Rawsome!
Administrator
Guardian
ZakuZaku!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:18:14 PM »

Don't all serious aussie gamers (who are pretty much adults) just import their games anyway? Or do they search your mailbox too and burn anything they find.... D:

And don't some games get edited as well? I thought I heard that Team Fortress2 had springs and weird things flying out of characters instead of blood. O_o That may have been the german version though...

But yeah, I don't get why that dude thinks Aussie's can't parent their own children... He must have had a crappy childhood. Major Suckzzzzz

Guardian
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 12:26:53 PM »

Ive heard about this for a couple other games as well, specifically Fallout 3, Left for Dead 2, and FEAR 2.  All those games either edited themselves for Australia or appealed the decision.  I doubt they will not attempt to do the same for this one.  Still, its kinda crappy to just ban a game outright, instead of trying to enforce a 18+ sales restriction.

Administrator
Guardian
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:22:32 PM »

Yes, there were some games that did get through in the end because they were edited, however the developer for the new AvP is refusing to edit the game (and rightly so) because the game was specifically targeting adults (quote below)

-------------

Rebellion Developments said it was "disappointed" by the ban, but remained defiant.

"The authorities had no choice (...) we agree strongly that our game is not suitable for game players who are not adults," the company said.

"The content of AvP is based on some of the most innovative and iconic horror movies, and as such we wanted to create a title that was true to the source."

"It is for adults, and it is bloody and frightening, that was our intent."

-------------

Although they don't mention it in the article, I know that they keep looking back to where some psycho in Tasmania went on a massacre and they found violent video games and movies at his home. The guy was a psycho before he started playing all these games, but no, the wankers in government and the anti-everything-fun tossers believe that the games were th culprit so we should ban all of them. So now every time a violent game comes out its scrutenised and the developers are asked to 'tone it down' before they'll agree to release here in Australia.

With this ban, it just means more people will download pirated versions instead of paying to support the industry. A lot of people have already commented that they'll import or download if its banned.
Rawsome!
Administrator
Guardian
ZakuZaku!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 01:32:56 AM »

Aliens And Preds FOR Aussies.

Well that's good to hear, maybe its a step to get a better rating system down under.

But, scroll down into the comments for a small screenshot... pred is ripping off a dudes head... holy crap. o_o  Vomit

Administrator
Guardian
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 09:33:17 AM »

Its a good win, even though its not a game I'm interested in getting, its still a good win for gamers down under
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: