Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/rebootma/public_html/edgeofbeyond.net/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pre-owned games
Edge of Beyond « SPAMZONE « PlayG « Pre-owned games
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-owned games  (Read 5524 times)
You can't beat a Mayo that's a fact
Administrator
Guardian
Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun
« on: July 12, 2010, 01:18:29 PM »

Do any of you buy pre-owned games?

I went into EB Games the other day to buy a particular game and they said they had a pre-owned copy for a few dollars cheaper. It was my first experience buying a pre-owned game so I thought I'd give it a go. It turned out to be a bad experience. Whoever owned the game before me treated the discs like shit. They were covered in marks,scratches and smears and it was still sold to me even though the girl behind the counter supposedly checked the discs. Played the game and it ran for two levels before it crashed the entire 360 (couldn't even get the dashboard up). I cleaned it up as best as I could and tried again but it came up with the "Can't read the disc" message. It wasn't completely cheap what I paid for it so there was no way I was keeping a faulty copy - if it was only something like $10 and the game sucked then I'd throw it away and forget it but it didn't so I took it back and got a new copy NOT pre-owned.  Angry

Has anyone bought pre-owned and had good experiences?

On the upside, I took another game in to trade when I took it back for a new version, and after they added up the cost of the trade-in and the return, they ended up paying me to get a game!!  cheesy afro
Administrator
Guardian
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 01:34:52 PM »

I've not had any bad experiences with pre-owned games. Every game I've bought, in store or over eBay or half.com or something, has always worked for me. The only time that a game didn't work was a DS game that was new in shrink wrap. Luckily, it was only $10 and I might still have a chance to get it to work.

And yay, getting paid for the game!

Rawsome!
Administrator
Guardian
ZakuZaku!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 01:37:50 PM »

A lot of my games are pre-owned and besides some smudges and fingerprints, I've only had 1 game that didn't work. In fact I don't think I've paid full price for an xbox game since I bought the console. EB games here even have a card you can get, so you get an additional $5 off any pre-owned game in the store.

I think you just had an unlucky experience, but even so EB usually has a 10 day policy, you can return the game even if you just don't like it for a full refund pre-owned or not.

Administrator
Guardian
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 05:04:57 PM »

lol must be just me then. Typical, it would be just my luck to get a crappy pre-owned game first buy. On pre-owned games here they have a 7 day trial period. If you take it back within those 7 days you get the full refund. Considering the difference in price between the pre-owned and the new one (which was on sale anyway which was the only reason I was going to buy it in the first place) was only $5, I should have just said no to the shop assistant and bought the new one lol. Bought the game Friday, tried to fix it over the weekend but to no avail, took it back Monday. Got the money back for it, plus traded in one of my other games for $10, and they paid me $5 when I picked up the new copy lol.

The only full-priced games I get were the ones I pre-ordered. Other than that, I usually wait until a sale is on before buying new games. I usually compare to department store prices as well and pick whichever is the cheapest. EB Games here usually has a sale of some sort every month so its not hard to pick up cheap games, its just finding ones you want to play.
Boardyguard
Guardian
Herp Derp
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 11:50:53 PM »

Most of the games I buy are pre-owned as well, and I've been fortunate enough to have good luck with them. I'm actually waiting for my local Gamestop to get Resonance of Fate used, because it's already 15 bucks cheaper then new. :3

At least you were able to return it! Don't let one bad experience hold you back, you can save a lot of money by getting used games heh.

Guardian
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 01:21:32 AM »

I think at least once or twice I grabbed pre-owned games, and they worked fine for me.

I may come from the Net
Probably through systems, peoples and cities, to this place maybe
Motherboard
My format? Guardian,
perhaps
To mend and defend most likely
ReBoot! I think
Administrator
Guardian
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 12:15:19 PM »

I'm actually waiting for my local Gamestop to get Resonance of Fate used, because it's already 15 bucks cheaper then new. :3

I was looking at that one too. The pre-owned copy is still a bit too expensive here at the moment so I'll wait till it drops again. Here in the city, EB set up a new store directly opposite JB Hi-Fi, who also sell games at cheaper prices than most department stores, and they also do trade-ins and sell pre-owned copies. Big competition between the two but the consumer comes out the winner! Smiley
Sprite
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 01:14:25 PM »

I've never gotten a used disk.  (Considering what you tend to get when renting movies these
days, I'm not sure I'd want to try.)  I still play the old SNES, though, and I've acquired several
used cartridges.  Only once did I ever get one that didn't work.  All the others are fine, though
one or two benefitted from cleaning first.

I dwell in shadows; the darkness is my realm.  Those who see me... are the unlucky ones.

Check out my new book, "Firemage"!

Check out my old ones, "Darkland" and "Legacy of Cryptia", too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: